Saturday, April 14, 2012

Spring sewing

So I know I have mentioned it on my Facebook page, but not sure I have mentioned my new commitment to self sufficient clothing. I have gotten fed up with clothes I hate, both for me and Bear, along with hating supporting the industry that makes them.
(c) Full Knitted Jacket, April 2012
So this year I have pledged to myself that I will do what I can to make as much of the clothing me and Bear wear as possible. During the winter that's fairly easy with her, she wears lots of sweaters I make, and I finally made myself some socks this year that I love! But as the season warms this means actually sewing!

So baby steps first, I have decided to take my old sloppy over sized t shirts and use the technique from the last blog I posted to make shirts that are flattering. I also think it would be a great idea to add some ruching! As ruching is so dang flattering! I love all my ruched shirts.
(c) Full Knitted Jacket, April 2012
This past week I started my adventure in sewing by making a pinafore for Bear. I used to little pinafores that have been around forever, my older daughter having worn them when she was little. I greatly modified the design and came up with something of my own. Sketching and cutting my own patterns out of paper bags.
(c) Full Knitted Jacket, April 2012
While the end result is sweet and charming, it isn't exactly what I want yet. So I will be going back to the drawing board and re designing the idea further. I bought some more material to make her a few more up of varying designs. I also really want to make her some little pantaloons and some long dresses or skirts.
(c) Full Knitted Jacket, April 2012
I also want to thank Sparrow for the great links to some amazing sewing ideas for myself. I can't wait to get some material and start making my own clothes!

SO here are some links for you guys to check out. I love sharing the pattern love!

I just love this ruffle top! This pretty blouse has so many design potentials! And I really love this totally flattering shirt dress, and Cute summer top.

So there you have it, some great sewing ideas. Form turning your sloppy t shirts into sexy mamma shirts, to sewing your own flattering summer tops. And don't for get the wee rug bugs.

If you guys are on Pinterest track me down and follow along on my boards for more great sewing inspiration. I have some adorable patterns pinned for little ones that you can click and buy from the artisans, as well as a great sewing board for big girls too.

As for today I am back to knitting though. Still working on these little lace custom gloves. And I have started a little layette set for my adopted daughters blessing way. I promise the latter will be an utterly adorable surprise!

All photos in this blog are the soul property of Full Knitted Jacket. Please contact me for permission before using any images from my blogs. All product designs, descriptions and images copyright Lae Morae / Adina Higdon and Full Knitted Jacket unless other wise specified. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment